French onion soup is such a crowd pleaser, not only does it look and smell amazing the taste for me is the best soup around.
The French created this dish because it doesn’t require too much and usually they would have all the ingredients handy.Traditionally they would put the soup on in the morning and let it simmer all day, however this recipe cuts down the time immensely.
- 6 brown onions - peeled and sliced thinly. (I wear googles and a snorkel to help combat the onion sting- not necessary haha using a mandolin will help immensely)
- 1.25 liter stock made with hot water and 4tblsp Mushroom Bomb Ritual Powder
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons vegan salted butter (can leave out if needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- (for top optional) baguette (doesn't have to be fresh, a day old is better)
- 600 grams Vegan cheese that melts well
In a large saucepan or dutch oven, sauté the onion in the butter and olive oil but be careful not too brown the onions, usually takes 5-10mins.
Once they start to look transparent add the stock, thyme and salt and pepper. I tend to add up to 3 teaspoons of salt- but it depends on your personal taste.
Let simmer in pot on low heat for 30-40 mins.
Place the soup in an ovenproof bowl or keep in dutch oven and put the bread on top.
Slice the cheese and lay it on the bread to cover it then grill/broil.